Who is takalam for
What is individual therapy?
Individual therapy is conducted on a one-to one basis, where a therapist conducts a therapy session with clients individually according to their individual concerns.
Is individual therapy effective?
Research showed that individual therapy such as individual cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) can be effective in improving overall mental well-being and functioning (Hodgkinson et al., 2000). It can be very effective in treating various mental health conditions from moderate to severe cases. The effect of individual therapy is also long-term, where those who finished a course reported lasting improvement in their well-being.
Why should I choose individual therapy?
- Individual therapy is a beginner friendly type of therapy and could be suitable for you who is starting on a journey to mental well-being
- Individual therapy allows you to feel comfortable as you are given a safe and confidential space to Takalam (speak) to a therapist about your private concern
- Individual therapy allows you to build rapport with your therapist, where you will be more comfortable and cooperative in getting the most out of therapy
- Individual therapy offers you a specific and individualized treatment plan
- Individual therapy offers a professional and unbiased perspective to your personal concern that are different from your friends or family’s perspectives
- Individual therapy involves a therapist to help you with your personal development
- Individual therapy involves exploring and understanding how your unique past experiences influence your present with a therapist
- Individual therapy allows you to engage in a self-reflective process of your emotions and behaviours
What is couples therapy?
Dr. John Gottman, a psychological researcher and clinician on relationship and marriage, found that couples wait an average of 6 unhappy years before seeking help. At Takalam, we offer couples therapy where it involves a therapist helping couples to improve their relationship using psychological interventions. The therapy involves treating two people in a relationship, rather than treating each person separately like in individual therapy.
Is couples therapy effective?
According to the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), 97.1% of couples therapy clients reported that they were given the help they needed. 80% of clients also reported that couple therapy positively impacted their relationship. Moreover, the American Psychological Association (APA) reported 75% effectiveness of couples therapy using a technique called Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT). Nevertheless, the effectiveness of couples therapy would ultimately depend on both partners’ willingness to improve the relationship as well as their relationship stage.
Why should I choose couple therapy?
- Both you and your partner are both willing to improve your relationship
- To have a check-up on your relationship
- To discover new ways to regain lost spark and romance in your relationship
- To resolve common relationship concerns such as money, parenting, sex, infidelity, in-laws, chronic health issues, infertility, substance abuse, detachment
- To gain an outside and professional perspective of your relationship
- To develop the skills to effectively communicate and resolve conflict with your partner
- To prevent problems in the relationship from becoming impossible to resolve.
Takalam for Employers
In a company, the most important component used to measure success is how much the output or production of the business is. However, companies cannot begin to evaluate the production of they do not consider the people behind the screens working to generate that production. Surely, if they crumble and fall the company would have nothing left. This is why employee mental wellbeing should be a major concern for employers, and greater investment in it is needed. According to the World Health Organization, the two most common mental illnesses, depression and anxiety, cost the global economy almost one trillion dollars annually in lost productivity.
However, the American Psychological Association (APA) found that employees with mental health concerns would return to work sooner after work-focused therapy. This type of therapy would focus on treating mental health concerns that arise from problems at work such as difficulties in managing work-life balance, burnout and decreased productivity. Likewise, studies show that employees who went for work-focused therapy did not report negative outcomes but rather reported that improved well-being within a year. Providing access to work-related therapy for your employees would also save you from additional costs needed for productivity loss and hiring replacements.
What can also be done to improve employee mental health?
- Provide employees access to counsellors.
- Encourage employees to attend self-help workshops organized by professionals
- Ensure there are mental health ‘champions’ within the company. Those will be people who have been trained in mental health first aid and can help their peers
- Organize social events that employees can attend and socialize, which will help in building better connection between colleagues thus ensuring a friendlier environment
- Give employees the option of a mental health day, which can be arranged based on the company's policy
At Takalam Online Counseling, we can help companies address all these necessary actions to improve overall employee mental health. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org